Sunday, March 25, 2007

Spring Sundays

Today - the first Sunday in spring - I took my first Spring Sunday walk with City Walks: New York: 50 Adventures on Foot.

My day began at brunch in Harlem with Tokii and Gina C. Afterward I headed downtown and started the walk just as my card instructed. I took a small detour on Waverly Place nearing the end of the route when I noticed a street fair while searching for a camera phone photo op in Washington Square Park. The fair stretched several blocks and featured a variety of vendors selling food, jewelry, tapestries, carpets, plants and bags. I ate grilled corn on the cob and chocolate-covered strawberries on a stick while checking out the different booths before I headed for the train at Seventh Avenue.

How To Use These Cards:
Each of the 50 cards conveys the flavor of the New York neighborhood or area it covers. None of the walks should take more than an hour or two to complete. On the card maps, one inch equals approximately 1,000 feet, so five inches is approximately one mile. Many of the walks can be combined or paired. Historic or otherwise significant sights have been noted for each walk, but in may cases the number of sights that could have been mentioned greatly exceeds the space available. Use the text as your guide and enjoy the unexpected attractions as they appear. With a few exceptions, all 50 walks begin with a subway stop. None of the walks is difficult - most of New York's terrain is flat, or nearly so - but city sidewalks are hard on the feet, so set out for the day wearing comfortable shoes.

Purchase your own city walks cards at amazon.com:
City Walks: New York: 50 Adventures on Foot by Martha Fay

No comments: