Friday, March 23, 2007

Rationalizing Reflexology

I spent my entire evening commute trying to figure out how to justify a one-hour massage in my monthly budget.

After work, I had a free 25-minute massage at Equinox since a coworker credited me as a referral for her new gym membership. It was the first professional massage I have ever had. The masseuse kneaded knots in my back that I didn't even know were there. And I felt and heard things pop that I didn't know existed. Hours later, my back has still never felt so loose.

In addition to listing the health benefits of massage, About.com addressed my self-reproach: "Are you feeling guilty about getting a massage? Does it seem too self-indulgent? Actually, massage has many important health benefits ... Massage can help you maintain physical, mental and emotional well being, especially when it is part of your wellness routine."

I want to incorporate massages into my regular wellness routine, but unfortunately it's like a champagne taste on a beer budget.

I still have the one-hour massage gift card that my boss gave me for my birthday in January. It's almost April now. But a massage gift card is like cake. You want to have it and eat it, too.

No comments: