Friday, June 15, 2007

Colleague Convo - I'd Like to Check You For Ticks?

As I was walking along 42nd Street to the office a little while ago, music came floating out of Bryant Park and then I heard a very pleasant voice sing: "I want to check you for ticks."

Really? There is a song about checking for ticks?

Yep. Brad Paisley be thy name, and he was performing in the Good Morning America Summer Concert Series. So I stopped for a moment on the sidewalk to listen before turning into our office building. The song is actually kind of romantic, even the tick part ... in a very primal way. If anything, I think that a country singer's natural urge to create a song about checking for ticks further proves the scientific facts supporting evolution.

In my cubicle moments later (adjacent to Gloria's cubicle), I said to her over the partition that provides me with a view of the top of her head, "Did you hear that song in Bryant Park on your way in - I want to check you for ticks?"

"No!" she said laughing. "Maybe you misunderstood the lyrics?"

"Nope, "I replied. "I actually stopped to listen to make sure I had understood the chorus right the first time."

I googled the lyrics and we played a 30-second sample on Yahoo!Music, which cheated us out of actually getting to hear him sing:

'Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks
Oh - I'd sure like to check you for ticks

Gloria shrugged and then turned back to her computer. I only saw the top of her head turn, but I know she shrugged because she made that "meh" sound that she makes when she shrugs. And then she said, "Now that is true love."

No comments: