Friday, September 01, 2006

VMAs, Mass Celebrity Sighting and Almost TGIF

I left the office yesterday at 10:30 p.m. The-Devil-Wears-Prada "boss" also stayed late, but we weren't the only ones. A lot of people work late there. A lot of people work late all over this city. It is the city that never sleeps in a lot of different ways.

Just up the street, the MTV red carpet pre-show and the VMAs were going on. When I left work, I decided to take a short detour by Radio City Music Hall instead of immediately descending the stairs into the Bryant Park station. It was less than a five-minute walk away so why not check out the scene?

The show had just ended, and in the 5-10 minutes that I took to slowly stroll 6th Avenue and 50th Street, I saw Rick Ross, Paris Hilton (who I found to be prettier in person than she is in her photos, where she often looks like a high and/or sleepy albeit beautiful praying mantis), Johnny Knoxville and Company (obviously drunk and, as usual, treating every moment like it's the time of their lives ... you have to admire that), Rihanna, Axel Rose, Sway, Busta Rhymes (I took a picture of his car on my camera phone so I could send it to Jessica, his #1 fan), Jennifer Lopez and her future ex (actually, I shouldn't say that; they seem to be doing pretty well ... at least publically), and my personal favorite, Beyonce (I don't think I've ever seen anyone that pretty in real life). I might have stayed longer for some more celebrity sightings, but I was tired and still had a Friday of work to get through. Plus, my short detour had turned into an inconvenient maze rather than a scenic route because there were so many people and police barracades.

Speaking of Fridays and Beyonce, she'll be performing live on Good Morning America next Friday morning in Times Square, and Tokii and I fully intend to be in attendance. And then, I'll walk down the street and go to work, and Tokii will go uptown for class and rehearsal at The Juilliard School. I love this city!

No comments: