Saturday, September 23, 2006

Magnolia Bakery

Today I took Tokii to Spa Bella on the corner of 23rd Street and 7th Avenue. I didn't tell her where we were going. I just told her to block off some hours in her Saturday afternoon. We walked from the C train and just as we were about to pass the spa, I stopped, threw my arms up and said, "Happy Pedicure Day!"

We had pedicures today to celebrate her birthday. A little late, I know. But her fiance was in town last weekend to spend time with her before he left to go play basketball in Japan so I wanted to let them have their space. Afterward we went to Magnolia Bakery.

I don't know if Magnolia Bakery was quite this popular before its cameos with Carrie in Sex & the City, but I decided today that it's reputation is well deserved. When we got off the train, we asked a random person for directions. He pointed down the street, "Take a left on Bleeker. You can't miss it. There will be a line on the sidewalk."

Tokii looked at me, "Was he serious? There'll be a line?"

Yes, was the answer. There was a line out the door and around the corner. We took our spots at the end of the line and waited about 10 minutes to get to the front door. As I looked around the block, which was predominantly residential, I couldn't help but wonder how annoying the touristic presence of the bakery might be to those who live near Bleeker Street or around the corner on Perry Street, where Carrie's home comings and goings were filmed, although the Sex & the City character was said to live on East 73rd Street.

At the entrance, a young man stood in an apron "rationing" the crowd.

"You two been here before?" he asked. We shook our heads. He laughed, "Ah! Cupcake virgins!"

When a few people exited the bakery, he held the door for us, "You may enter, ladies. Enjoy!"

Tokii bought a slice of buttercream cake, I ordered a small, round pecan caramel cheesecake. People were crowded around the cupcake self-serve in the front window, which Carrie and Miranda had made famous in several episodes, so we decided to split a cupcake, too. We packed our little white boxes, paid for our pastries and went back to the train.

Now I sit in the Bronx. Cheesecake and my half of the cupcake consumed. I don't know that my tastebuds have ever been this happy over sugar, flour and iciing. It was everything Carrie said it would be.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: