Friday, September 08, 2006

Beyonce Before Work

Last night, I set my alarm on my cell phone for 5 a.m. with the full intention of being in Times Square by 7 a.m. for a front row spot at Beyonce's live performance on Good Morning America. But when my alarm went off this morning, I decided in less than 15 seconds that I really just wanted to hear her sing and really didn't need to see her up close. I reset my alarm for 6:30 and ended up catching the 4 train around 7:30 a.m.

After stopping at a Starbucks for a cappuccino, I arrived in Times Square around 8:15 a.m. and found a comfortable spot to perch on a metal barricade near the back of the crowd. Even though I started to feel a little tinge of regret for not arriving earlier for a better spot, I realized if I were closer to the stage, it would be really hard to get out of the crowd and get to work on time.

Good Morning America shut down 44th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue/Broadway for Beyonce's performance, and the stage was set up just outside their Times Square studios. When Beyonce came on stage, there was a roar from the crowd that made you forget that it was still just 8:30 a.m. Forget coffee! Watching Beyonce perform live gave me enough energy to make it through my entire workday; this afternoon I found myself humming "Deja Vu" while I was uploading advertising proposals in FatTail.

In an era where it seems like anyone can be a pop star, Beyonce is a true performer, and this morning she made me a true believer. She is not just a pretty face financed by a slew of make-up artists, framed with satin locks made possible by professional hair stylists, and a body fine-tuned by top-of-the-line personal trainers. Though it helps that she is probably the prettiest person I have ever seen in real life, she has talent that mesmerizes. There was a fan on her that blew her dress up like Marilyn Monroe as she sang and pranced around the stage, which I had to admit was amazingly sexy. Watching her perform made me want to go to the gym and get ready for summer and a sundress.

She sang "Deja Vu" and another song from her new album, took it back with "Crazy In Love," and was getting ready to sing a fourth number when I had to go to work. I found my way through the crowd that had significantly grown beyond the half-block it had been when I arrived 45 minutes earlier, zig zagging down 44th Street toward 6th Avenue, and a few minutes later I was entering the rear of my office building on 43rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue.

As I was riding in the elevator, I thought to myself, I saw Beyonce perform live three blocks away, for free, before work. This city is the coolest. I tried to wipe that naive, new-to-the-city, just-happy-to-be-in-New-York grin off of my face, but I still can't help it. I know the magic of NYC will wear off after awhile, but for now, I'm going to enjoy it.



See Beyonce's "Deja Vu" performance this morning on GMA here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took me a while to read up on your blogs. Glad you are enjoying it. Be good, have fun and be safe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this blog with me! I totally felt like I was there.