Thursday, November 02, 2006

No Soup for You!

The Soup Nazi is a very real threat in New York City. From the New York City Daily News: "The man who inspired the famed "Soup Nazi" on "Seinfeld" [lent] his name - and his legendary recipes - to a chain of soup stores, and the first in the city opened on E. 42nd Street [on November 2, 2005]."

One year and one day later, I walked into The Original Soup Man - not realizing that it was the Soup Nazi's store. In fact, I never knew that the Seinfeld character was based on a real person. When I realized where I was, I frantically scanned the menu trying to narrow down my choices before I reached the counter. When prompted for my lunch selection, I momentarily entertained acting like Elaine in "Seinfeld" and tapping the counter, skimming the menu and wondering outloud, "Hmmm ... What do I want?"

Instead, I placed my order and moved to my extreme left as fast as I could. Despite his remorseless line policy, New Yorkers continue to line up for his soups, to which my tastebuds will now attest that his slogan "I Set the Standard!" is duly justified.

The Soup Man experience is not as harsh as it was portrayed on TV, of course - in fact, it was quite pleasant. But even if it wasn't, I would keep going back. It's that good.

No comments: