Wednesday, August 09, 2006

One Week Completed

I have survived one week in New York City! And even though I do not have an apartment, a job or a car, I feel like I have accomplished a major feat in just moving here and getting through an entire week without crying! Not that I cry all the much or that easily, but I can see how a naive newcomer could cry a lot and easily here.

I don't pride myself in being naive to a lot of things up here, and I wouldn't describe myself as an innocent Southern Bell in the big, sinful city, but I really have felt more naive than usual throughout the past week. That was expected and it just comes with being new in a different environment. But I don't feel as confident as I usually do. I'm a little overwhelmed. A little anxious. I'm unsure of a lot. And I don't know most of the time. But it's so exciting!

For the first time ever, I have absolutely no idea what my life will be like next week or even tomorrow. Even when we moved from base to base as a military brat, I could still sort of predict the environment. When my dad retired to Asheville, NC, and we joined civilian life, there weren't any huge surprises. When I left for college, I kind of knew what to expect. Immediately after I graduated, I had a job in my own university's admissions office. And then I decided to make this huge, random move ... it's only been a week, but so far there are no regrets. The one thing I am sure of is that there will be no regrets regarding my decision to come here. As I said in a previous entry, I'd rather regret failing in New York than regret never trying to live there.

I love NYC!!!

... Which reminds me, I still need to buy one of those t-shirts.

2 comments:

Senorito<- Ako said...

Loose the 'naive-ness', go out and sin NYC style!

Hmm.. not a good advice I reckon.

As for the crying bit... is the environment too abrasive for southern people ? or just abrasive in general ?

KJS said...

Not abrasive ... just overwhelming.