Sunday, August 06, 2006

First Weekend Recap

Saturday: Slept in. Woke up around noon when my aunt called. Cleaned a little around Tokii and Candice's apartment. Not that it was all that messy. Just trying to earn my keep a little since they're letting me stay here free (I plan to give them something toward this month's rent though). Met my aunts (two of my mother's sisters and a sister-in-law who live in Queens) at Applebee's off of Times Square. Terrence and I could not believe (well, we could believe) that all of the same menu items were twice as much as the prices in the South ... or any other Applebee's in the world. Hey, it's Times Square. We were also amazed by the sheer volume of random things that my Tita Connie had in her bag. She was like the Filipina Mary Poppins, but it's one of the things that makes her so cute. We laughed a lot and had a good time. Afterward, we strolled around a little. Saw Samuel L. Jackson - or his wax replica (I'm not sure which, it looked so real) - outside of Madame Tussauds Wax Museum. Stopped by Cold Stone, but didn't buy any ice cream; the lines were too long. My Tita Marie relayed the following story to Terrence and I (paraphrased the best I can remember):

"One evening, I was walking through Times Square on my way to that store over there, and it was so crowded. And I kept wondering to myself, why is it so crowded? And why is everyone looking up? I finally made my way into the store, bought whatever I was trying to buy, and when I came out, they were blocking the streets. And I was wondering why. And then I remembered, it was New Year's Eve."

Later, my aunts left Terrence and I at the Loews movie theater. We went to see Miami Vice, which was my treat to thank him (again) for all of his help this past week. It was a hard-to-follow, seemingly plotless movie but entertaining enough. Then, we returned to the Bronx.

Sunday: Slept in again. Woke up around noon. Went to the grocery store on the corner. Hung out around the apartment. Watched The Constant Gardener on my laptop. Candice texted to let us know she'd be back soon (she's a flight attendant and has been out since Friday). My resilient, little plant that I brought up from North Carolina (dubbed "Sasha") has sunburn on her leaves. I put her in direct sunlight on the window sill and I guess she didn't like it. Tomorrow Terrence and I are going to go to Manhattan and be tourists. Then he leaves for La Guardia Airport very early on Tuesday morning. And I have to figure out what the heck I am going to do with my life here.

1 comment:

Señor Enrique said...

If you have some free time in the pm, go to Broadway and 53rd and inquire how to get tickets to David Letterman's show. It is a fun thing to do. Plus they tape early in the afternoon and you'd be on your way back to the Bronx after the show with daylight still on the horizon.