Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Six Stiches of Separation

Things more likely to happen to me in New York than in North Carolina:
- Forget my cell phone in a taxi for the second time in less than two weeks while commuting between the downtown and midtown offices
- Pay the cab driver $20 to bring it back (he was already in Queens and - for peace of mind and wallet - I justified the expense without argument since he was saving me from having to pay the $50 replacement fee again + the added inconvenience)
- Ride the elevator next to a dress worn by Anne Hathaway in "The Devil Wears Prada"

I just got back to my cubicle after meeting the cab driver, who brought back my cell phone (for a tidy sum, of course), and then riding in the elevator next to a dress worn by Anne Hathaway in "The Devil Wears Prada."

I entered the elevator behind a very tall, very attractive girl and immediately noticed her dress, but I did not immediately recognize it from the movie.

"That is an adorable dress," I said to her as the doors shut.

"Thanks!" she replied. "You might recognize it from 'The Devil Wears Prada'."

"Wow," I said, thinking at first that it must just be the same style, but then it occurred to me that she might have meant it was the exact one. After a brief pause, "... the same dress that ..."

"... Anna Hathaway wore. Yes."

"Wow! How did you ...?"

"I used to work for Calvin Klein."

"Oh. And now?"

She mentioned one of the designers who works in our building and then asked where I worked.

The dress: the green one Anne was wearing when she was trying to get Meryl Streep the unpublished manuscript of the latest Harry Potter novel.

6 comments:

Todd said...

It's cool that you recognized it, but how tacky is it that she bragged about it like that? Maybe it was different in person. Maybe she's a very nice person.

KJS said...

She was definitely really nice and cool. You're right; it wasn't as obnoxious in person as it probably seems without context.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I have to say that dress sounds very 'summer 06'. I mean that would be like someone telling me "hey nice suit" and me saying "Yeah thanks, Gorden Gecko....Wall Street"

KJS said...

Hahahaha!

Yea ... it's translating a little obnoxiously. She really wasn't; though I'm sure Seinfeld could have taken a moment like that and written an annoyingly hilarious segment.

What was really obnoxious is that it was all I could do to keep from whipping out my camera phone and saying, "Hey! Mind if I take a photo of your dress for my blog?"

Would have made for a very Sonic commercial/lame blogger moment.

NewYorkMoments said...

Hi--thanks for the link. I'll add you too. We transplants must stick together.

Todd said...

Now I have to watch Wall Street so I can buy his suits.

Thanks a lot.