Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cyber Relating

I really enjoy reading other New York City blogs - especially ones that provide true insight or have posts to which I can relate. Here are several from the East Village Idiot that had me laughing out loud, nodding in agreement or rolling my eyes in empathy:

Stocked with Amenities - I live this life, except that the reaction of guests upon entering my apartment is: "Wow! Your studio has a separate kitchen!" (i.e. I don't stare into my oven from my bed).

New York: City of Peeves #49 - I've encountered this scenario on many occasions in the main lobby of my office building. My label differs only slightly as I refer to them as "Elevator Nazis" - even though the guys down there are generally nice and I know they're just following policy. I've used this analogy whenever commenting on common sense or lack thereof: It's like performing a "random" search on an 87-year-old woman at an airport security checkpoint just to emphasize the random. It doesn't make much sense, and it doesn't make you any safer.

Overheard at Starbucks - I overhear more random ignorant or inappropriate conversations in New York every day than I generally overhear in the South in a week. No topic in the streets of Manhattan, on the platforms in the subway, or any line in Starbucks is taboo. It's not that Southern Americans are generally smarter than Yankees. I think it's because the city feels so big, you don't expect to again see 99% of the people made privy to your conversation anyway so you don't care who overhears. And depending on what street you're on, most of the people around you do not live within a 100-mile radius of the city anyway.

It's like tripping on the street. In the South, I might feel embarrassed if I stubble over something that isn't there. In New York, it doesn't matter if I trip over air while crossing Fifth Avenue. By the time I get to Madison, no one ever knew it happened.

No comments: