Friday, December 22, 2006

Minding My Own Business

"You Know You're a New Yorker When ...
Your boyfriend has broken up with you, you're on the subway during rush hour crying your eyes out, the car is packed and you are comforted that New Yorkers realize that your problems are none of their business."
- From dustingmybrain.com

Thinking further with regard to yesterday's post, I passed by a nice-looking girl in the train station near my apartment, who was about my age and wearing a sharp wool jacket and a contrasting scarf - an ensemble similar to what I have been looking for in stores. She was huddled in the corner, with the ends of her scarf tossed back over her shoulders, vomiting on the floor.

All those who had just exited the train, walked by her with not much more than a glance. The side of me that's been raised with Southern hospitality wanted to stop and ask her if she was ok. Instead I ascended the staircase and only looked back down as I stood at the crosswalk at the top of the stairs. She was bracing herself in the corner and then leaned forward to vomit again as a line of people continued to proceed up the stairs.

I averted my gaze and looked down the street. The traffic light changed, and I headed home. I couldn't help but wonder ... do New Yorkers seem rude simply because they mind their own business?

"You Know You're a New Yorker When ...
You see a car accident and you keep walking because you think an episode of 'Law and Order' is being filmed."
- From dustingmybrain.com

No comments: