Thursday, January 03, 2008

"Things I Love" Thursdays - The Gym

I love going to the gym in the morning before work. However ...

While I commend the 2008 road to fitness paved with good new-gym-membership intentions, which many New Year’s Resolution-ists are currently attempting to trudge, I am looking forward to the months when the new crowd begins breaking their initially determined and earnest pledges. The mirrors and hairdryers were crowded this morning, and I was almost late to work.

I am sure the 2006 regulars felt the same way about me when I joined my company’s corporate gym membership with Equinox in January 2007 and began crowding the regulars’ informally claimed areas. And consistent with the natural cycle of gym life, eventually a few of this year’s newbies will become oldies with the rest of us, and we will again share the annoyance of the temporary gym attendance surge when the 2009 New Year's Resolutions kick in.

While I sincerely encourage overall health and wellness for the general population (especially my family, friends and coworkers), the odds of continued overcrowding in the locker room are in favor of the regulars' comfort and ability to apply makeup without elbowing someone else in the ear.

From MedicineNet.com:
“Between 55% and 65% of new gym members drop out in the first three to six months, according to a 2003 study published in the European Journal of Sports Science.”

Equinox knows this so I doubt they’ll be remodeling to enlarge the women’s locker room anytime soon. In the meantime, I guess this gym rat will just have to wake up a little bit earlier.

"Things I Love" Thursdays are inspired by "I Love New York" (BNY, February 14, 2007).

3 comments:

Todd said...

I think the cold is helping keep them away. If they stay away long enough, they'll never come back! Hooray!

Nicole said...

Ugh, yeah, this happens every year. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate it!

Anonymous said...

Getting up at 5am to go to the gym just isn't natural.

That's all there is to it.