Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Forces of Gravity

I'm watching Tokii on TBS right now. Her second Wednesday on prime time. Mutual friends call me during commercial breaks. Excited text messages beep in periodically.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that she is in a small recurring role on national television. I stare at the TV. I hear her. But I don't comprehend her lines. I gawk at the screen. Agape. I see her. But it's not registering. It's not her voice. It's not her accent. It's not her humor. She's hilarious in real life, but the woman on the screen is different. It's not the person I've known for a decade and lived with in college.

Terrence called from England last week after her first episode ended. It doesn't air there and he wanted to know all about it. Across the ocean, he listened to me babble like an excited school girl and strained to hear clips while I rewound and fast-forwarded through the show and held the phone to the television during her lines. He said that I sounded like the first time he watched his best friend play in the NBA.

Oscar Wilde once said, "Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature, in fact, the nature of a true Individualist, to sympathize with a friend's success."

I believe that with every fiber of my being and consider it a true measure of your love for someone else. There is no way to describe the simultaneous disbelief, pride, joy that I feel right now. Just throw my arms in the air at the crest of the roller coaster and scream, "Woo hoo!"

1 comment:

Dina said...

that's soo cool. It IS very weird to know someone who becomes famous.
Didn't she JUST GRADUATE?? Man, she has taken off already. that is EXCITING!!

p.s. Tiki WILL MAKE IT TO NEW YORK SOON!!!