Sunday, November 19, 2006

Subway Convos

Late last night, I was riding the 1 train uptown to my apartment and overheard the most arbitrary conversation among four college-age individuals. The group was debating a contrast and comparison of homeless people and cockroaches and something about electrons, neurons, a half-eaten peanut butter sandwich and a coat hanger.

Two members of the group were speaking in irritatingly elevated tones presumably to make their input in the conversation audible to the rest of the subway car. I'm assuming they felt that the other passengers would be impressed by the depth and breadth of their conversation. Instead numerous sighs abound and annoyed glances were exchanged throughout the car - all of which were oblivious to these young scholars as they animatedly debated their analogy.

I looked at the woman sitting next to me, who was clearly struggling to lightly snooze amidst the banter and asked, "Is that what is attending Columbia University?"

She looked at me and sighed, "Mm-hmm."

Sure enough, they exited at 116th Street.

If I could remember some of the exact analogies, I'd submit them to overheardinnewyork.com.

No comments: