Monday, November 06, 2006

Bad Day

I had one of those mornings at work that made me feel like giving up on the career world and aspiring to be a housewife. Not that being a housewife is any easier or less demanding - maybe it's the being your own boss, on your own schedule, staying at home that makes it attractive on days in the office when you feel like you can't do anything right, there's too much to do and too little time, and you feel like you'll never get ahead (in the short run or the long).

But I'm not one to give up just because of days like today. Plus, there was someone in New York City who had a much worse day than I did. I was late to work this morning because of train delays on the Downtown/Brooklyn bound 1 train because of a passenger injury. I didn't know the exact details as none were provided to those on my train, but one of my coworkers was also late because of the same delay. She lives south of me on 96th Street, where the incident occurred. She didn't know if it was an accident or a "jumper," but she said there were a lot of police officers and a body bag.

Despite the grim situation, she said that random comments among New Yorkers on the platform ranged from, "Damn - I'm going to be late [for those who assumed it was an accident]" to "Why couldn't he decide that he couldn't go on living on Sunday? [for those who assumed it was a jumper]" ...

Even when the announcement was made by the conductor on my train that we were "being held by the train's dispatcher because of a passenger injury downtown," there were heavy sighs and rolling eyes as New Yorkers began calculating how much time would be lost to the delay.

This day is now coming to a close for me. It was a bad one. But I'm glad it isn't over.

No comments: