Saturday, November 25, 2006

Road Trip

My mom and I left Asheville in a rental car around 5:30 am and headed up I-26 into Tennessee. As we crossed a bridge over a high gorge, the fog was so thick that the road seemed to drop off and disappear. We could barely see 50 feet ahead. It would have made for a nice phone photo op except that I was driving. But it kind of reminded me of what my life has been like for the past four months. Can't see more than a day ahead of me. I liked driving through that fog. Maybe that's why I like the way my life has been lately.

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Tennesee, a Subway in Virginia, a gas station in West Virginia and maybe another in Pennsylvania. In New Jersey, we got turned around on the Turnpike and ended up going through the Lincoln Tunnel even though it would have been faster, easier and cheaper to cross the George Washington Bridge.

We flirted with fenderbenders in the bottleneck entering Lincoln Tunnel, we were honked at by almost every cab driver on Broadway, it took 30 minutes to find parking, and I found a small, dead roach as I walked into my apartment, but it was good to be home.

No comments: