Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Green Tuesday

Blue Monday was followed by Green Tuesday. I woke up yesterday morning, only lightly nauseous, but ill enough to know that I had better call in to work.

After living through the violent episode of vomiting that ensued, I am now certain that - had I attempted the morning commute - I would have joined the rankings of countless others for whom a subway conductor has announced: "Ladies and gentlemen, our train has been delayed due to a sick passenger."

When my body began to ache, I called my dad as he is my personal guru to the medical field. Based on my reported symptoms, he offered a tentative diagnosis: Norovirus, also known as winter vomiting disease or more commonly in American English, stomach flu. Then, he told me to try to stay hydrated as best I could and to try to sleep through the next 24 hours.

Hydration and sleep were an obstacle, but the 24 hours passed, and he was right. I went to work this morning, a little weak and shaky, but relieved that I could keep water down without gagging and convulsing.

No comments: