Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bringing Down the House

My best friend is amazing. I went to see her perform tonight in a one-woman show at The Juilliard School of the Arts. I arrived in Lincoln Center just in time for the 7 p.m. curtain call and took my seat next to Tokii's fiance, who was proudly preparing to video his future wife's performance. In Tokii's show, she portrayed a variety of characters, including a proud, domineering mother who is dying from breast cancer, a detached ex-husband and father, a neurotic daughter and her disillusioned boyfriend, and a less-than-competent psychologist. I know I got choked up nearing the end of the play because not only was it touchy subject matter (with light and dark humor incorporated throughout that derives those laughter-through-tears emotions), it can be a rollarcoaster of sentiments to watch someone that you love as they take their craft to new levels. Her one-woman show was an overwhelming success.

Oh yea ... and today's her birthday and I haven't gotten her a present yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

heya, Have you thought about what industry you would like to focus your energies?

Senorito<- Ako said...

a one woman show... Now that alone sounds painfully-exciting. :)