I love that there are things you would only know about a neighborhood by living there.
A few months ago, I received the following tips from CityWendy regarding our Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. As I've continued to feel more settled in my new home, I thought I'd share what she shared about the neighborhood we share.
- The cold and hot bars in the Amish Market Westside on Ninth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets is discounted by 50% per pound after 8pm each day. Less than $5, for example, can get you baked chicken, lasagna or a salad.
- Vitners Market, down Ninth Avenue from the Amish Market has the most amazing - though not cheap - cheese and fancy beer. They have generous cheese samples, and if you try them all, you won't even need lunch.
- The ValuePaks received in your mailbox every few weeks contain local coupons, such as $5 off purchases of $50 or more at Westerly Natural Market on Eighth Avenue at 54th Street..
- Roberto Passon on the corner of 50th and Ninth features the best weekend brunch drink special in the 'hood: All-you-can-drink bellinis, bloody marys, mimosas and screwdrivers for $8 every Saturday and Sunday from 12:30 to 3:30pm.
- Orchid Caribbean/Soul Cuisine Restaurant on Ninth Avenue at 46th Street is a favorite of CityWendy. Though she forewarns of slow service, she'll attest that the food and the drinks (try the Passion Margarita) are "SO worth it." It is operated by a couple, who do all the cooking, serving and bartending themselves. Be sure to try the macaroni and cheese.
- The Clinton Community Garden on 48th between Ninth and Tenth is an adorable, little oasis. It has a quaint gazebo and benches surrounded by curtains and fountains of flowers. Keys to the garden are given to neighborhood residents on the first Tuesday and Saturday of the month.- The Hell's Kitchen Flea Market is a popular city fixture every Saturday and Sunday of the year on 39th between Ninth and Tenth.
"Things I Love" Thursdays are inspired by "I Love New York" (BNY, February 14, 2007).
A Year Ago Today: Flower Power
Two Years Ago Today: No post