Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Things I Love" Thursdays - Anti-Valentine's Day Celebrations

In a city full of 20-somethings who'd rather be single in New York City than married in Ohio, I attended my second Anti-Valentine's Day celebration in row. I'm not entirely a romance antagonist, as I noted last year. In fact, I love genuine expressions of love. I'm just not a fan of consumer marketing-driven holidays. So I guess I don't like any holidays, but Valentine's Day in particular is the one that feels the most forced and insincere of all. It's the day when you say I love you because you have to.

I gathered with about two dozen friends and friends of friends at Divine Bar on West 54th Street. It was my second best Valentine's Day ever. This was the first.

"Things I Love" Thursdays are inspired by "I Love New York" (BNY, February 14, 2007).

No comments: